Serving Indianapolis for over 100 years, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School was the first elementary school established in the Irvington neighborhood.

In 1911, two years after the church was established, the Sisters of St. Francis from Oldenburg, Indiana, started Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School in the home of a parishioner. By 1915, both the parish and school expanded into a larger chapel that would serve as a combined space until the current church structure was built.

Monsignor Michael Lyons supported the growth of the school during his tenure from 1919-1940. The school’s mascot and gymnasium are named in his honor.

To accommodate additional students, the parish community constructed a larger school building in 1958, which is our current building. In 1974, the school added a kindergarten, and in 2005, a preschool. Today, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School continues to serve east side and downtown families seeking a faith-filled, joyful education for their children.